This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
Why York College?
- You'll have access to qualified tutors on a weekly basis for feedback and support
- Our programmes run on evenings so they fit in with a busy lifestyle (and some intensive weeks, normally in the school holidays)
- We offer a personal face-to-face approach
- Our costs include all course fees including registration, exam entry and certification
- We've invested £20,000 in our gym, so you'll be using the most up-to-date equipment in the industry
- You can be set up as a personal trainer (self-employed) within one year with our progression route from Level 2 to Level 3
There are no formal entry requirements but all candidates need to have a basic understanding of how the human body functions and be experienced in the use of a gym for their own personal fitness. As this is an instructor qualification a good level of verbal communication is an advantage.
Dates and Times
18th September 2017 - 30th January 2018
Time: 18.00pm - 21.00pm
Days: Mondays and Tuesdays
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients, provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
Exams and Assessments
A range of compulsory assessment is covered including:
- Multiple choice theory paper/eAssessment
- Practical examination
- Regular formative assessment will be included throughout the course with home study required
CYQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
A range of course manuals written by CYQ are available to purchase to support your study. These are priced individually - details available on the CYQ website www.cyq.org.uk/qualifications
The cost of this course is £811.
Courses costing more than £200 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.