For general entry requirement guidance please follow this link.
More detailed entry requirement information will be available in due course.
What will I study?
Equivalent to three A Levels, this course is a practical route into a career in musical theatre performance and provides an introduction to the practical skills and theoretical knowledge required to work in the performing arts industry. You will learn to develop skills in singing, dance and acting along with developing a thorough understanding of the musical theatre sector.
Over two years you will:
- Develop your singing voice
- Explore performance techniques
- Learn to work as an ensemble through rehearsal and performance
- Explore ballet and jazz dance forms
- Learn basic music theory
- Develop skills as an actor physically and vocally
- Understand how to create roles for performance
- Learn about the history of musical theatre and its influence on popular culture
- Apply the skills you have learnt in preparation for working in the industry
You will be taught by theatre and industry trained professionals such as directors, actors, voice coaches, dancers, choreographers, singers and musicians who work alongside students not only on professionally produced shows and performances but also offering first hand, vocational knowledge of the industry and its demands.
You will have the opportunity to learn and perform across a wide range of projects from workshop performances and recitals to children's theatre performance, concerts and full-scale musical theatre productions.
How will I be assessed?
Students are assessed on a regular basis throughout the course, completing assignments which consist of 70 per cent practical and 30 per cent written work.
A materials contribution of £65 applies to this course. We also have trips to theatres and other venues. These are priced on an individual basis.
What could it lead to?
The course provides a sound foundation for drama school, with the majority of our students going to one of the top 22 conservatoires or into higher education, studying musical theatre at degree level. This is a practical, work-related approach to the world of musical theatre. Based upon real-life professional situations, activities and demands, the course is the ideal intermediate step in pursuing a career in the performing arts.
Past students have secured places at:
- Guildford School of Acting
- East 15
- Italia Conti
- The Urdang Academy
- London Studios
- Arden School of Theatre
- Chichester University
- Chester University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Bodywork Company
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Creative & Performing Arts (Dance) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Creative & Performing Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production and Technology Diploma Level 2
- Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2
- Performing and Production Arts Diploma Level 2
- Performing & Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3