A course for those in the second year of studying British Sign Language or for learners with some previous knowledge. The course will develop the ability to communicate using BSL on more complicated topics. These are complementary but separate courses; students can enrol for one or both.
There are no formal entry requirements but a willingness to participate is essential. Students who have not completed first year courses at York College should seek advice if they are unsure of which course to enrol on.
Dates and Times
5th March 2019 - 21st May 2019
Time: 18.30 - 20.30pm
The course will consolidate the first year basic introduction to British Sign Language, developing both understanding and communicating. It will cover areas such as:
- More detailed greetings
- Expressing a wider range of emotions
- Multi-channel signs
- Directional verbs
- Food and drink
- Physical descriptions of people and pets
- Talking about the weather in more detail
- Understanding stories
This will be suitable for people who wish to communicate with non-hearing friends, colleagues and family members but is also a fun way to begin to experience the culture associated with the deaf community.
Lots of pair and group work with an experienced teacher. The emphasis is on practical communication skills.
Exams and Assessments
No formal assessment but in-course assessment will enable students to monitor their progress and this will be reviewed by the tutor.
There is no formal qualification for this course. You will receive a College Certificate of attendance to show you have attended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need previous knowledge?
We anticipate that most students enrolling on Part 1 will previously have completed one year’s evening classes at York College so will have some basic knowledge of BSL. Other students who have some knowledge are welcome. Part 2 will assume you have attended Part 1 and will follow on from it.
The cost of this course is £200 for each 10 week block.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in all our web pages, the content is naturally subject to change and we cannot guarantee its accuracy or currency. When necessary we reserve the right to make changes to the information on the site without notice.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Beginners
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Continuers
- York College Certificate - French for Beginners
- York College Certificate - German for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian Advanced
- York College Certificate - Italian for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian for Continuers
- York College Certificate - Reading the Booker Longlist
- York College Certificate - Spanish Advanced
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Continuers