Formerly known as PTLLS, the Award in Education and Training is a short course designed to enable a wide range of students to undertake teaching, training or learning tasks relevant to their own training or teaching situation. It is recommended for all teachers new to the sector, whether in further education, adult and community learning, work-based learning or other parts of the learning and skills sector.
The award is suitable for those who work, or intend to work, as:
- Teachers in adult and community education
- Teachers or trainers in the voluntary sector
- Training personnel in commerce, industry, the public sector or HM Forces
- Technicians and support staff in further and adult education
Students should normally have at least a Level 3 (i.e. A-Level/BTEC equivalent) qualification in the subject they wish to teach and have a reasonable command of English, Numeracy and IT.
Dates and Times
2nd October 2017 2017 - 18th December 2017 Mondays
11th April 2018 - 4th July 2018 Wednesdays
Time: 18.00pm - 21.00pm
There is also an online version of this course.
The online version of the course involves 40 hours of work over 12 weeks, but students are expected to attend College for one day to give presentations.
This course is on a rolling start. Further information is available from the College, using the contact details below.
The award is designed to develop the students' ability to:
- Identify students' needs, backgrounds and aspirations
- Define basic principles of teaching and learning in relation to teaching/training
- Demonstrate in their planning, delivery and evaluation a regard for equal opportunities and health and safety legislation
- Develop their skills in devising programmes and schemes of work
- Adopt a systematic approach to planning learning sessions by reference to a variety of methods, and to develop innovation in their teaching/training
- Design, make and use a range of teaching and learning materials, using their own creative and information technology skills
- Develop their key skills
- Apply communication skills in teaching and training
- Design and apply appropriate means of assessing their own learners
Additional home study is required.
Homework is set each week and should take one to two hours to complete.
Exams and Assessments
On-going coursework assessment.
Ascentis Level 3 Award in Education & Training.
Students may progress from this course to either the Ascentis Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training or the Certificate in Education/PGCE.
The cost of this course is £500.
The cost of the online course is £350.
Courses costing more than £200 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Ascentis Level 3 Award in Education & Training
- Ascentis Level 4 Certificate in Education & Training
- CACHE Level 4 Certificate for the Early Years Advanced Practitioner
- City & Guilds Introduction to Trainer Skills
- Gateway Dyslexia Awareness
- ILM Level 2 Award in Leadership and Team Skills
- ILM Level 3 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
- ILM Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Leadership and Management
- NCFE L2 Cert Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools
- NCFE L3 Award in Preparing to Work in Home-Based Childcare
- NCFE Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma for Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce
- Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement
- Pearson Edexcel Level 4 Internal Quality Assurance Awards