Validated by York St. John University

If you wish to study this course full-time you must apply through UCAS. UCAS Code: W210 BA / GD. Institution code Y70.

Click here to view York College’s agreement with the Office for Fair Access (OFFA) and an explanation on how fee income will be used to support students.


Full-time: 3 years

Entry Requirements

Standard entry: 

64 UCAS Tariff points or equivalent (MPP) (please see the UCAS tariff calculator on the left-hand side of this webpage to work out your tariff point amount)
L2 English

Non-standard entry: Applicants who have relevant skills and experience but who do not hold the standard minimum entry requirements will be considered. Applicants will be required to demonstrate the necessary skills and experience to enter the course through their personal statement.

Programme Content

Graphic Design is an exciting discipline. It exists to communicate ideas and information using words and images. These messages are delivered in a variety of forms to a wide range of audiences.

This broad-based degree programme introduces students to the role of the contemporary graphic designer and encourages them to challenge the boundaries of visual communication.

The programme aims to provide a learning environment where both the traditional core disciplines of graphic design can be explored with rigour and integrity whilst fully exploiting the possibilities afforded by new technology.

The programme is designed to provide an experimental, innovative approach to study through project-based activities with an awareness of the professional and social context of studio practice. Students are encouraged to take ownership of their independent development and professional direction throughout the programme. Individual and group tutorials help guide students through the course giving maximum opportunity for personal development.

A programme of critical and contextual studies supports and integrates studio practice with a series of seminars and lectures throughout each level. It is anticipated that students will develop a balanced portfolio of work which contains a range of project-based practice, fully demonstrating a strong individual direction and both personal and professional strength.

Year 1

The first year of the design programme will be diagnostic and introduces the broad subject of graphic design and the intellectual, academic and process skills the course demands. It introduces subject areas including:

Year 2

In the intermediate level of study students might identify areas for specialisation or maintain a broad-based approach. Web and interactive design and professional practice modules are introduced in Year 2. Opportunities exist at this level for learners to engage in a period of work experience within a professional design-related organisation. In the critical studies modules students are prepared for their dissertation, undertaken in Year 3.

Year 3

At the higher level of study there is a greater balance towards professional activity supported by the personal and professional development module. Students will continue to shape their own creative identity both practically and intellectually in a range of in-depth projects including the opportunity to take part in national design competitions and live projects. Visits by practising designers and artists, portfolio surgeries and career planning strategies aim to prepare students for progression.

Assessment Methods

All coursework is project-based and assessed in relation to identified learning outcomes. Year 2 represents 30 per cent of the final classification grade and the successful completion of Year 3 makes up the other 70 per cent.

Where the Programme Leads

Graduates will usually pursue careers in design consultancies or in related fields of work such as: advertising, publishing, marketing or design management, or work in a freelance capacity. The qualification opens up opportunities for study on a variety of postgraduate courses including teaching qualifications.

Course Fees

  Fee 2017/18 (starts) Fee 2018/19 (starts)
Full time £6165 £7200

*International Students should call the International team at York College on 01904 770425.