Validated by York St. John University.
If you wish to study this course full-time you must apply through UCAS. UCAS Code: W700 BA/3DCC. Institution code Y70.
If you wish to study part-time follow the 'apply' link at the top of this page and fill out a York College application form.
Click here to view York College’s agreement with the Office for Fair Access (OFFA) and an explanation on how fee income will be used to support students.
Full-time: 3 years
32 UCAS Tariff points or equivalent (MPP) (please see the UCAS tariff calculator on the left-hand side of this webpage to work out your tariff point amount)
Applicants who have relevant skills and experience but who do not hold the standard minimum entry requirements will be considered. Applicants will be required to demonstrate the necessary skills and experience to enter the course through their personal statement.
There are a number of reasons why you should choose to study your Contemporary Craft course at York College. During your time studying here, you will undertake a variety of live projects and collaborate with external partners within the city of York and the surrounding area. This will not only give you related work experience within the field, it will also give you a unique opportunity to build good links with these companies and see the sort of work that these companies do on a day-to-day basis. The curriculum you study will also be commercially led meaning that you gain plenty of practical knowledge within the field.
This studio-based course provides the opportunity to learn through experience whilst simultaneously requiring learners to engage with social and historical issues that inform current practice. The ability to solve problems and an understanding of form, function and design principles are developed through direct involvement with materials and processes. Students are encouraged to consider relationships between the content of work and the practical concerns of making.
The taught programme is broad in its scope and offers the opportunity to work in art, craft or design based areas, or a combination of these, and encourages an enquiring flexible approach. Work in a range of 3D materials is encouraged in the conviction that a breadth of experience is intrinsically valuable in developing students' aptitudes for making comparisons between different forms and functions, and for informing and enriching the work in 3D contemporary crafts.
Emphasis is placed on individual development and increasing self-reliance. The course is intended to enable students to make informed choices based on sound information and critical judgement. Students are encouraged to express their ideas and to develop analytical ability through lectures, seminar discussions and gallery visits. Students gain understanding of their work in the context of past practice, professional contemporary work, and the current climate of debate.
Through a sequence of modules students are prepared for professional practice and are offered the opportunity to engage in work placements and live projects run in association with regional and national organisations including businesses, galleries and schools. Students will also develop an understanding of the critical and cultural world in which their work exists, and the business and ethical concerns of the contemporary craftsperson in relation to new developments in craft practices made possible through digital technologies.
The course provides for the development of technical skills within the studio disciplines, but also for the development of a wide range of transferable skills such as:
Critical and Strategic Thinking
Time and Project Management
Literary and Research Skills
Presentation, Promotion and Marketing.
All coursework is project-based and assessed in relation to identified learning outcomes. Year two represents 30 percent of the final classification grade and year three the other 70 per cent. Ongoing feedback through tutorials throughout the programme, with formal assessment to enable progression to the next level at the end of each academic year.
Successful completion may lead to a career in the creative industries such as a craftsperson, community art worker, designer, crafts education, curatorship or administration. Some students choose to go into postgraduate study.
|Fee 2017/18 (starts)||Fee 2018/19 (starts)|
*International Students should call the International team at York College on 01904 770425
You need to apply for this course through the UCAS website.