Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

8th April 2019

At primary school Owen Schofield was diagnosed as dyslexic.  Achieving good grades in all subjects, he was most comfortable working with numbers - an Accountancy Apprenticeship was the obvious progression route for him.

Owen Schofield at Evora - Accountancy ApprenticeWEB

After his GCSEs at Manor CE Academy, Owen didn't automatically think of taking on an apprenticeship, he had thought he should follow the A Levels / university path. Gaining a grade C in English meant that his A Level choices were limited and he struggled to keep his interest in other subjects.  Owen decided to look for different opportunities.

Owen (aged 20) says: "Finding  out about Accountancy apprenticeships, the AAT qualification seemed like the right fit for me. The qualification is valued by employers so I felt confident approaching management teams with the internationally recognised qualification and membership. I also knew I could progress to find opportunities with professional accountancy bodies like ACCA."

He adds: "Working at Evora Construction in York, I am constantly gaining knowledge to further my career. I enjoy the balance of work experience at Evora and classroom contact at York College. I love meeting new people from a range of professions and working for a Construction Company means I get to see two completely different industries come together. Also, being paid whilst gaining qualifications and work experience is invaluable!" 

Owen has studied the AAT qualification at Level 2 and 3, and he is now embarking on Level 4.  His College assessor helps bridge his knowledge gap, supporting him at work where his duties include (but are not limited to) maintaining physical and digital financial records, entering relevant information in internal spreadsheets, processing transactions, tracking project expenses and checking accuracy of financial transactions and records.

Looking to the future, Owen would like to develop his skills, taking on more responsibilities within the company to understand the business in a larger sense. In the long term he would like to complete AAT at Level 4 and then become Chartered one day.”

Richard Elam, Managing Director at Evora says: “The business benefits of taking on an apprentice are significant. Owen has gained technical knowledge and has input from industry professionals, giving an extra tier of training to that offered within our business. Over the last two years Evora has worked effectively with York College's on-site assessors who have given regular feedback on his progress,.  This has proved to be invaluable and has helped us to refine our internal training plans. Throughout the two year programme Owen has gained immeasurable experience from piers within the group and other industries, which will stand the test of time for his future career and for our business going forward. He is now starting his AAT studies at Level 4 and we wish him well."

Related Link

Accounting Apprenticeship Level 2

Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Level 3

Professional Accounts Tax Technician Apprenticeship Level 4

Current Term's News