Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

21st November 2017

Thanks to sterling work by a work placement Business apprentice at an automotive leather interior firm, Seat Surgeons in York, the company has seen a boost in sales, including an order from ex-world heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury.

Luke Burneet at Seat SurgeonsWEB

Luke Burnett, aged 18,  was taken on by Seat Surgeons four days a week to set up the business’s social media and digital marketing. Within five weeks he had secured high value orders and built up a page for the firm on the social media site Instagram, attracting 2,400 followers. One of the followers, Tyson Fury, then went on to place an order for his wife’s car. The boxer told the company he had been attracted by Luke’s pictures on the firm’s Instagram account.

Seat Surgeons Tyson Fury picWEB

Luke, formerly of All Saints RC School, started a work placement at Seat Surgeons whilst studying Level 3 Skills for Business; Sales and Marketing at York College. As a Digital Marketer his main duties were running the company’s social media sites and finding new ways to market their products by taking, editing and posting photos, messaging potential customers, finding advertising opportunities and finding ways in which to raise their online profile.

Luke’s work placement was so successful that the company offered him a two-year apprenticeship as a Digital Marketer. He says: “Before my placement I was unsure what I wanted to do after my College course but my work placement helped me make decisions about which direction I could go in. I think work placements give you a chance to see what the working world is like and an opportunity to try out a particular line of work to see if you enjoy it. In my case, having an interest in sales and marketing enabled me to see the positive effects digital marketing can have on a business and I realised this area of work was what I wanted to pursue further.”

Paul Hewitt, Managing Director of Seat Surgeons said: “Taking on a work placement student was a great way to meet potential employees, particularly students who were interested in our business. During the placement, Luke gained a good knowledge of working in the business and grew in confidence and motivation. He was even successful in finding us new business and generated over £20,000 in sales from the initial work he did! I was so impressed with Luke’s performance and work ethic I employed him as our Digital Marketing Apprentice and the orders continue to come in! Luke’s success has led us to take on another York College work placement student, Ethan Brown. Both students are having a chance to put their ideas into practice in a business environment and can see real life results from their campaigns.”

Beth Thorp, Work Placement Team Leader at York College says: “Luke is a hardworking apprentice who, after a successful work placement last year, has gone from strength to strength at Seat Surgeons doing Digital Marketing work. We are so pleased that business sales are increasing for Seat Surgeons as well as social media followers, and that the company has been able to take on another placement student. This is testimony to the value of work placements and apprentices and we are thrilled that both students are prospering in their roles.”

Related Link

Work Placements

Apprenticeship

Current Term's News