Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

3rd January 2018

Former student Rebecca Hickman has returned to York College to speak with A Level History students about her university experiences.

Rebecca Hickman - alumni visitWEB

Being the first member of her family to stay in education beyond the age of 16, Rebecca came to York College from Brayton Academy. She studied A Levels in Psychology, English Literature, Law and Early Modern History and completed an EPQ on ‘the Defence of Insanity in Criminal Law’. 

In 2012 Rebecca graduated from York College with excellent grades, progressing to Warwick University to study History, which included a year studying at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Having achieved a First class honours degree from Warwick University she is now in the final stages of a MPhil in Early Modern History at Cambridge University, looking at British identity in the 17th century.

Rebecca says: “Initially I wanted to study a Law degree and whilst at College I switched to History simply because I enjoyed the subject so much. A history degree is a good qualification which translates to all manner of careers. Currently I am waiting to see if I can get PhD funding to stay on at Cambridge University, otherwise I have interviews lined up in Law firms in the city. I’m so pleased my College tutor pushed me in the right direction to make the most of my time at university studying a subject I am passionate about. Most importantly, I realise that through education, and especially York College, I have experienced a world that I would not have believed possible.”

History tutor Zoe Eames says she is extremely proud of Rebecca: “I remember the 16 year old Rebecca telling me that no-one expected her to succeed. I am very pleased that she has achieved so much and has such a bright future ahead of her.”

Related Link

History (Ancient History) AS and A Level

Hisotry (Late Medieval and Early Modern) AS and A Level