Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

16th March 2016

Congratulations to York College hairdressing apprentice Hayley Fowler on coming 3rd in the 1st year blow-drying category at the National AHT (Association of Hairdressers & Therapists) competition in Blackpool.

Hayley Fowler 3rd place winner at BlackpoolWEB

Hayley, aged 27, is an apprentice at Evolve Hairdressing in York. Having won first place in the College’s Hair & Beauty competition at York Racecourse, and then second place in the regional round of the AHT competition held at Gateshead, a place at the Blackpool national final was certainly within her reach.

Hayley said: “Having done well in the earlier rounds of the competition I was fired up to compete nationally and I didn’t want to let my tutor or my employer down. I had practiced so much and felt confident to pull it off. I was over the moon to win and I’m totally empowered to carry on with my training to be the best hairdresser I can be.”

As a mother of two young boys, Hayley decided to train as an apprentice hairdresser when her children started school. Having already worked as a receptionist and salon host at Evolve Hairdressing, she was passionate about the salon and its clients. Hayley was delighted when her employer encouraged her to apply for the apprentice hairdresser position, saying: “With the full support of my employer I felt able to take on the apprenticeship training. I attend College one day a week and the rest of the week I work in the salon. I now have a real career to follow and my family are really proud of my achievements.”

Hayley Fowler outside Evolve HairdressingWEB

Linzi Gill, owner at Evolve Hairdressing, Bishopthorpe Road says: “The whole team at Evolve are very proud of Hayley’s achievements at the national competition. The apprenticeship training programme allows Hayley to gain the recognised industry standard certification, as well as ‘in salon’ training, and her portfolio reflects this.”

Related Links

Hair, Beauty & Holistic Therapies

Current Term's News