Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

23rd November 2015

Congratulations to two York College students, Lauren Armstrong and Matthew Tarn, who won Apprentice of the Year awards at the York Apprenticeship Graduation Ceremony, held at the Royal York Hotel.  The ceremony, co-ordinated by the York Apprenticeship Hub, recognised over 100 apprentices for completing their Apprenticeships.

group2

The Guilds and two of last year's winners, former York College student Jordan Phillips from Nestle (Under 25s winner 2014) and Martin Kennedy from Portakabin (Large Employer of the Year 2014), announced the special award winners.

York College student Lauren Armstrong, formerly of Millthorpe School, completed a Level 3 Accounting Apprenticeship whilst working at Myscience Co Ltd. Lauren won the Apprentice of the Year title in the 16 - 24 age group, in the small employer category.  She said: “Being an apprentice is a fantastic experience.  I have gained qualifications and real business experience at the same time.”

Maureen Legge, Head of Human Resources at Myscience Co Ltd said: “Lauren is a fantastic addition to our finance team and we didn’t think twice about nominating her for the York Apprentice of the Year Award. Lauren’s AAT Level 3 and 4 studies have given her the foundations to excel in her role with us and we are looking forward to supporting Lauren in her career going forward.”

York College’s second award winner, Matthew Tarn, completed a Level 3 Engineering Apprenticeship whilst working for Nestle. Matthew, formerly of Huntington School, won the Apprentice of the Year title in the 16 - 24 age group, large employer category. He said: “My engineering apprenticeship gave me the opportunity to work with some phenomenally knowledgeable and talented people at Nestle. I was surprised to receive the award in my age group – it made the ceremony even more enjoyable.”

Local companies were also amongst the winners; Portakabin won the Large Employer of the Year and William Birch & Sons Ltd won the Small Employer of the Year award.

Large Group WEB

Related Links

Apprenticeships

Current Term's News