Award Crest
York College

News Banner 1

News Banner 2

News Banner 3

On graduating from High School Brent Coombs came to York College from Belize, a small country on the eastern coast of Central America.  A few weeks into studying the Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment course he successfully interviewed for a technical apprenticeship in Site Management with Futureworks (Yorkshire).

Brent Coombs1WEB

Futureworks (Yorkshire) run the award winning YORfuture shared apprenticeship scheme, in partnership with CITB. Wildgoose Construction is the host contractor for Brent on the College’s new Construction Centre building project.  Brent works on site four days a week and spends one day in College. His employment on the shared apprenticeship programme ensures continuous employment after this project has been completed, meaning he can complete his subsidiary diploma units and an NVQ in the workplace. 

Brent (aged 16) says: “When researching careers online I realised that there is a shortage of skills in the construction industry in the UK.  It was a spontaneous decision to go for the technical apprenticeship role within Wildgoose and I am pleased that I did as I am really enjoying the work.  There are lots of different job roles within the industry and my apprenticeship allows me the time to see how each of those roles fit into the construction process.  From what I have learnt so far I would really like to go into Project Management.  I am gaining experience on the job and learning at the same time – and getting paid for it!  I have the best of both worlds.”

Paul Haythorne, Project Manager at Wildgoose Construction says: “Brent has the necessary skills and qualities required to work effectively on a construction site.  He is articulate, helpful and eager to learn.  He has a keen interest in the work on site and during the first year of his apprenticeship he will gain an insight into the many different roles that exist on building projects. There are many openings in Construction and Brent is a fast learner. I think he will do very well in the construction industry.”

Mark Scott, Director of Futureworks (Yorkshire) says: “When the York College Construction Centre building project has been completed, Futureworks (Yorkshire) will find Brent another workplace for the final year of this apprenticeship. We are pleased to be working with York College and Wildgoose and have Brent with us. He, along with our other apprentices, make a considerable contribution to fulfilling skills shortages in the construction industry.”

Brent added: “There are good career prospects in this industry and on completing my apprenticeship I hope to further my studies in construction, either at York College or at university.”     

Related Links    

Construction and the Built Environment (Construction, Design and Mangagement) BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3                 

Current Term's News